The recent census showed that approximately 66% of those that live in our region, are renters. And while it’s normally a very straight forward process, there are times when it can become very unpleasant for the tenant, the landlord or the agent. At South Coast Realty, we make every effort to ensure that a rental tenancy is a smooth process, so here are our tips on how to enjoy a stress-free rental experience.
- Firstly, never sign the lease until you reviewed the entire tenancy agreement. What are you responsible for? What aren’t you responsible for? If you have questions, make sure you ask them. Your agent will be more than happy to answer them for you.
- Make sure you are upfront about special and circumstances such as people staying with you long term, and if you are considering renting out a spare room on Airbnb.
- Always be sure to pay up on time. A big part of rental stress can be having agents chasing you for late payments. Remember it’s their responsibility to look after the property on behalf of the owner. Your good or bad rental history is also recorded and can be used for or against you when it comes time to move. If you fall into difficulty with your rent payments, communicate with your agent asap to see what can be done.
- Never make a claim about something that is broken or damaged without proof that it has taken place without your involvement. If it has, own up to it; don’t try and find a way to get out of making up for any mistakes you make when living on the property. Agents will always work with you on this, and its best to be upfront about it as soon as possible.
- If maintenance issues like blocked drains or electrical problems occur, get in touch with the agent as soon as possible so the issue doesn’t cause larger problems.
- If you have any disabilities or issues otherwise, it’s best to discuss them openly and clearly with the landlord instead of trying to hide these issues in case it causes problems with your lease especially if you are responsible for certain things you won’t be able to address.
- Remember that while you are renting this property, you will have other neighbours and its important to keep to noise curfews and keep rubbish around the property to a minimum. A good rule of thumb is to treat your property the same way you’d expect your neighbours to, and while there are sometimes issues, its best if its not on you side of the fence! Be considerate of the lifestyles of those around you. From a 7AM start for your DIY day to mowing the lawn after dinner, you should be as considerate as you can to the needs of others.
- Your guests are your responsibility; you are typically held liable for anything they do good or bad, so make sure you pay attention to that and make your guests aware of this!
- Ensure you have contents insurance. The landlord will have property insurance but that does not cover your personal belongings, furniture etc. Having insurance just lets you sleep that bit easier at night and in the event you need to utilise that safeguard, then you can!
If you keep these basics in check, you will have a better chance of experiencing a positive rental experience. South Coast Realty are your property specialists on the south coast, its what we do!